©2020 Heiner Sträßer
Nevşehir: Meryem Ana Kilise
After the Turkish-Greek people exchange in 1923, this church was first used to store goods. In 1950 it had been changed into a prison. In the middle of the church they have built a second floor and several walls created the cells for the prisoners. Since 1983 its empty. In 2014 two of four iron bars (tension rods), which stabilized the walls against the weight from the roof, had been cut off. Now the whole building is in danger to collapse.
For comparison: panorama of 2011 with tension rods