©2022 Heiner Sträßer
Evening in Istanbuls quarter Ortaköy at the Bosphorus
On the small square between the Ortaköy Mosque and the cafes, bars and restaurants people meet at night. The mosque was built in 1856 and its real name is Büyük Mecidiye Camii. Here one can enjoy the view over the Bosphorus strait and at the Bosphorus bridge or have a nice dinner. Since 1973 the bridge connects Europe and Asia. With a total length of 1560m and a longest span of more than 1000m it is about 64m above the water surface. After the attempted coup of 15th of July 2016 the bridge was renamed as "15 Temmuz Sehitler Köprüsü" (July 15th Martyrs Bridge).